Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Why can't we all just get along???

Many years ago, I heard the same words in the title of this blog uttered by a fellow high school classmate during a fight at a football game. Truer words have never been said and it can be applied to many aspects of life including the horse industry. My mother once said, "all horse people are crazy", and to tell you the truth sometimes I have to agree with her. It feels as though sometimes the horse industry is full of catty, high school girls. One person gossiping about another and then turning around in the next minute and talking sweetly to that person. I'm sure many would agree that this truly goes on today. Even in my little corner of the world, here in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin, trainers, barn owners  and horse owners can't seem to just get along. Where did the respect go? Why can't we be happy for anothers success or for the success of the horse industry as a whole without belittling someones achievement? Instead we talk down other facilities and their trainers, sometimes without proper information which is even worse. Just think you could ruin a persons livelihood just by repeating one rumor or by not standing up and correcting someone else. And with every rumor that is spread, we give more credence to my mother's aforementioned statement, that horse people are truly crazy.

Imagine with me for a moment if you will, how beneficial it would be for the horse industry to see trainers getting along and actually helping one another out. Imagine how many more people would be drawn to an industry that promotes comraderie and isn't plagued by politics and marred by deciet and lying. We could all do so much better for even the horses that we work with, if we all realized our short comings and continued to learn from others. I don't know about you but that is the type of industry I would love to be a part of. What do you think??

2 comments:

  1. I think that you and I are great examples of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean the good parts not the bad people...

    ReplyDelete